Pinch Hitter Course
Make your flying companion more comfortable and able to control the airplane in an emergency or just better able to help out on flights.
- 5 Hr’s Ground Instruction
- 5 Hr’s Flight Training
Lesson One – The Airplane
The student will become familiar with airplane systems, controls, and how it flies.
- Aerodynamics and Principles of flight
- Flight Controls
Four basics of flight,
- Straight and Level
We want the student to be able to name all controls and instruments, and maneuver the airplane during flight.
Lesson Two – Navigation
We will get familiar with radio navigation, VOR system and GPS if applicable.
- Sectional Chart reading
- Basic VOR function
- Review four basics of flight
- Demonstration and practice VOR flying, intercept, and tracking.
The student will get familiar flying the four basics of flight within altitude and within headings while intercepting and tracking the VOR.
Lesson Three – Communication
We will get familiar with communication with air traffic control.
- We will talk about and practice communications with ATC
- Review of charts and airspace
- Student will tune and listen to ATIS, make calls to ground, and tower.
- Student will review previous lessons.
- Student will contact approach control and establish flight following.
Flying assigned VOR radials while maintaining altitude and heading, look up and use appropriate frequencies and make radio calls.
Lesson Four and Five – Take off and landing practice.
- Traffic pattern and procedures.
- Take off and landing practice
Be able to fly the pattern and align the airplane with the runway center line using rudder and ailerons properly for wind.